Triz Engineering Solutions is looking for a Current Product Engineer to form part of our engineering team, with the ability to fit into the DNA of our company culture that is dynamic and embraces change. Apart from a contained andwell-rounded person with a high EQ level, they will be required to deal with complexity in a fast-paced environment. The person needs to be a self-starter with attention to detail and bring a positive energy to the work environment, with a willingness to excel in their role.
Triz Engineering Solutions (www.trizengineering.com) is a premium product engineering and development company specializing in end-to-end turn-key commercial vehicle development.
Autocar®, LLC, headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, is a leader in engineering, assembling, and servicing severe duty trucks. With a steady stream of innovations to their Xpeditor® line - ranging from improved ergonomic cabs and integrated controls to a new hybrid-drive refuse truck – along with a steady stream of new products - Autocar®, LLC has staked out a position as the industry's technology and innovation leader. Moreover, they have forged strong partnerships with the leading suppliers in the business, including, Allison®, Cummins®, ArvinMeritor®, Hendrickson®, and others. Autocar®, LLC is the oldest North American vehicle nameplate in North America – dating back to 1897 - and has delivered more than double the natural gas vehicles than all of our competitors combined.
The candidate will work from Triz Engineering Solutions in Durbanville, Western Cape, South Africa with the possibility to emigrate to Autocar in Birmingham, Alabama, or Hagerstown, Indiana USA if required after 1 year.
*All U.S. based employment is subject to company discretion and U.S. legal and visa requirements.
Position: Current Product Engineer – Chassis Job Type: Full-time
Company: Triz Engineering / Autocar
Location: Durbanville, Western Cape, South Africa
Birmingham, Alabama, or Hagerstown, Indiana USA
Reports to: Director of Engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Equivalent
- 3-5 Years of engineering experience
- A thorough working knowledge of 3D-CAD systems preferably Unigraphics.
- PDM systems preferably Siemens Teamcenter preferred
- Willing to relocate to the USA
- Willing to travel overseas for variable periods
- South African Citizenship
- Product development direction and support from project initiation to regular production for the Electrical and Electrical systems.
- Product sustainment and improvement throughout the product life cycle in support of the Autocar brand, product strategy & objectives and customer experience.
- Ongoing hands-on production line support, including troubleshooting and resolution of engineering-related assembly and other issues in support of on-time delivery to customers.
- Liaison between customers, suppliers, production, process engineering-, and development teams by applying product and process expertise to support regular production and implementation of new systems.
- Responsible for all engineering liaison, validation, and testing activities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide design direction, including technical specifications and requirements, to on- and offshore engineering resources for the Electrical and Electrical systems (subject systems) for heavy/severe duty trucks following best engineering practices.
- Contribute to product improvements, new features or options development and product portfolio growth initiatives for subject systems throughout the product lifecycle.
- Support product planning initiatives.
- Keep abreast of and advise the engineering team on industry trends & new technologies related to the Electrical and Electrical systems.
- Manage 3rd party providers such as suppliers and development teams/consultants as it relates to the
subject systems’ design, development, and ongoing product support & improvements.
- Lead and/or support project status reviews, design reviews, design analysis activities such as
DFMEA’s, product integrity initiatives and production readiness reviews.
- Create, maintain, and file design intent & history documentation including testing and validation.
- Engage & align with engineering peers across vehicle systems and other platforms in the interest of interface control and commonality.
- Identify opportunities and support continuous improvement to promote engineering quality during the product development & release management process.
- Provide day-to-day support of cross-functional teams such as Sales, Service, Warranty, Parts, Purchasing, Materials, Productivity Engineering and Program Management to align goals and expectations.
- Perform and or support online and offline validation and testing of new designs and provide feedback to the design team.
- Provide hands-on engineering support to resolve day-to-day assembly line issues.
- Ensure deviations and substitutions are implemented as required.
- Support the Product Integrity Team with issue resolution.
- Interact with customers as required, including product support at customer locations.
- Provide engineering support relating to compliance and regulatory matters, including participating in industry standards forums/events if required.
- Strong analytical and technical skills to understand business practices.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent in task management
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good Written and Verbal Communication (English)
- Computer literacy with advanced Microsoft Excel skills
Assuming outstanding sustained performance, the successful candidate will have opportunities for promotion and broader responsibilities over time.
Autocar offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, retirement/401K plans, etc.
Autocar Corporate Video: